Under New Management is the third contract and first face card contract for the Chinese, which takes place in the Southern Province of North Korea in the first quarter of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.
Overview[edit | edit source]
This contract involves capturing the city of Nampo for the Chinese and verifying the Queen of Clubs.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Supplies Given[edit | edit source]
The Contract[edit | edit source]
After leaving the China HQ, the player will have to go to Nampo which is a short trip to the south. As you approach Nampo there will be a Chinese roadblock, including a Type 89 APC which will come in handy during this contract. Further along, you will encounter more Chinese roadblocks and more Type 89s which you may use.
There are six soldiers in total that need to be taken out. Four of them are regular troops equipped with RPGs, all located on the rooftops. The last two are officers on the ground equipped with SMGs. If you still have the sniper rifle from the previous contract it will be very effective here at taking out the rooftop soldiers. Some of the RPG troops may fall off the buildings and die, or kill themselves with their own RPG.
Once all the marked soldiers are killed, the Queen of Clubs will appear on the docks while Chinese and KPA forces will start rolling in and engaging each other. Two Chinese Type 89s, loaded with soldiers, as well as BJ2020 Scouts will start engaging North Korean BMPs. The Chinese will typically win these engagements and begin securing the area.
Advance into the dock where the Queen is and there will be numerous regular KPA soldiers alongside a BMP in the south end. Hijack the BMP to make swift work of the soldiers (none of them have RPGs so they are of little threat). Once the fighting begins the Queen will flee towards the end of the pier. There are a few soldiers hiding behind the container, so take them out. Verify the Queen, who is equipped with a Carbine, and complete the contract.
The value of the Queen of Clubs face card, and therefore the contract, is $115,000 alive or $57,500 dead. Completing this contract will make the Vehicle Repair Drop available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace. Intel regarding the location of the Nine of Clubs will also be given.
Email Messages[edit | edit source]
Introductory e-mail message[edit | edit source]
Sender: Fiona Taylor
Subject: Contract: 'Under New Management'
"Quid pro quo. Eliminate the specified NK presence and they'll let us know where the Queen of Clubs is."
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Eliminate NK forces
2. Verify the Queen of Clubs
Bounty value: $115,000 alive/$57,500 dead
Transcript[edit | edit source]
The player enters the HQ. Captain Leu and Colonel Peng are talking with each other
- Captain Leu: (in Chinese) to be filled
- Colonel Peng: (in Chinese) to be filled
Peng turns his attention to the mercenary
- Colonel Peng: Greetings. Your work for us has been commendable...so far.
- Colonel Peng: The port city of Nampo is held by Song's troops and I have not the armored support necessary to take it. Should I take the port, our ships can offload two armored battalions. The tanks I need to take the city, can only be brought in through the city. Stalemate. You can break the stalemate for me. Eliminate Song's men and reinforce the area with my troops and we will pay you well. You will also, doubtless, unearth the location of Sun Han, the 'Queen of Clubs' as the Allies call him. He runs shipping for Division 39 out of Nampo.
The player remains in the HQ
- Colonel Peng: Division 39 was little more than a collection of thugs, exploiting their position in the government for profit. Han will pose no threat to you.
The player still remains in the HQ
- Colonel Peng: President Kim had them all dismissed from their positions when he discovered their operation. Of this, I approve.
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Colonel Peng: Why do you delay!?
The player accepts the contract
- Fiona: I'd suggest trying to stay on Peng's good side.
The player verifies the Queen of Clubs
- Fiona: We've verified the Queen! Great work. Now get out of there.