Overview[edit | edit source]
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Destroy the Type 07 Supergun
- Verify the Ace of Diamonds
Supplies & Support Given[edit | edit source]
- Surgical Strike x5 - Free
- Cluster Bomb x3 - Free
- Tank Buster x3 - Free
- Carpet Bombs x2 - Free
- Allies Supply Drop x3 - Free
The Contract[edit | edit source]
A large array of support is given to the player by the Allies in this contract. Note that this contract will be the first exposure to radiation. Radioactive zones are marked with an orange/brown color on the SNS, and you will know when you have entered it as a Geiger counter sound will begin playing and the screen will become distorted. Entering these areas will quickly drain the player's health until death, unless you are inside a sealed vehicle such as a tank or some APCs (such as the BMP.
Once the contract begins you will be a beach next to a downed plane. As you head towards the forest there will be a lone Sungri Scout and some supplies. When you approach the Sungri Scout it will explode a squad of NK elite soldiers will come charging out to ambush you. If you advance further down the path another large group of elites will attack you, two of which has RPGs. Once they're taken care of obtain and NK vehicle and start heading south, down the island. Keep an eye out for any tanks or APCs patrolling the roads, you'll need to hijack one to get past the radiation. If you drive into a radioactive zone and can hear your mercenary wincing in pain you'll know your vehicle isn't protected. As you drive around the island, you'll sometimes come across crash planes with AN pilots nearby fighting NK search parties. If you help these pilots fend off the North Koreans they will follow you around and provide assistance.
Once you have a shielded vehicle, continue heading to the far southeastern part of the map, where the large facility is. This is where the Ace will spawn once he appears. 1 or 2 well placed carpet bombs and some tank busters should clear out all of the enemies in this area, making the capture of General Chang much easier. Once the facility is cleared head west to the where the Prototype Gun is located. There will be a facility guarded by a T-62, ZSU-57 and some soldiers. Try to hijack the T-62 and take out the other NK forces. Start driving up the hill towards the Prototype, watching out for RPG elite soldiers and other T-62s. When you reach the top, take out the soldiers and hop into the Prototype Supergun. Fire two shots into the Supergun and it will be no more. As soon as it blows up General Chang will appear at the south eastern facility you destroyed earlier. Despite what Fiona says, Chang will not move from this location and instead wait for you. Go to his position, verify him, and complete the contract.
An alternative strategy, if you want to avoid much of the combat, be prepared to do a lot of mountain climbing. If you do not have the Cheat Weapons, it is highly recommended that you have either a Sniper Rifle or Anti-Armor Rifle (preferred) to take out the enemies from a distance, especially from above.
From the outset, head northwest and start climbing the hills. Head a bit southwest and descend. Cross the highway when it's clear and begin climbing the central spine. As you reach a point where the first AC-130 plane crash site can be clearly seen, keep pushing higher into the mountains until you reach the top. Run along that ridgeline, until you reach the road as it weaves through the woods as you approach the irradiated bridge zone from the east. If you act quickly, you can easily knock out two of three groups of three DPRK Elite troops. Check your PDA and look for the area marked "81". Below and right of the "1" is a light green circular splotch. Aim for the lowest bit and climb what seems like an unclimable cliff face. When you do, you will be able to bypass the death zone bridge completely. Head south and east. Check the map for the road and as it begins to turn south, descend to a point near the coastline just north of the second AC-130 crash site.
At this point stick close the water's edge until reach the complex at the southeast corner of the island. This is the most important place in the event. This is where the Ace of Diamonds (armed with an LMG) will appear after you destroy the Supergun. If you destroy the location utterly, he will be all alone and, thus, a lot easier to take down quickly and cleanly. Hide behind some large rocks and start with a carpet bombing. After that, use any combination of cluster bombs, tank busters, or few laser-guided bombs to take care of them. Once you've destroyed the complex and eliminated all soldiers, head into the complex and to the west end. Climb the mountain and head west. The crate up top will have an rocket launcher and an Assault Rifle, with ammo, grenades and a medkit.
Eventually, you will see the road splits north and west. Keep heading west. You will find an unoccupied complex of three buildings. Further westward and you will see a single building back from the road. Head right up to it and get behind it. A bit of warning, keep an eye out for enemy vehicles, such as Sungris, a few BRDM-2s, BTR-60s, the odd ZSU-57, a few T-62s and T-54s thrown in for good measure, and, of course, cargo trucks with crates on them.
From behind the building, head along the base of the ridgeline until you can start climbing it. Try keeping as easterly as possible to avoid detection for as long as possible. When you reach the top, you will find several clusters of DPRK Elites and 3 T-62 tanks, one of which is at the very top of the ridgeline where the Prototype Gun is found. At the entrance to the cul de sac are 4 Elites, one of which has an RPG, and the final T-62. At the base of the gun, on the left are 3 more Elites and one solo Elite near the westernmost edge of the cluster of sandbag walls to the right of the gun. Enter the gun. Fiona will claim that it will take a few shots to destroy the Supergun, but it only takes 2. After that, exit the gun. Fiona will tell you that Chang is "preparing for a final push." You do not need to hurry to back to that SE Complex as he has no intention of escaping.
From here it is possible to slide downhill into the 3-building complex you passed earlier. That'll reduce your overland travel quite a bit. Climb the mountain where you found the crate mentioned earlier. When you descend into the SE Complex, you will see the Ace. Try to keep the container between you and him as you close in. Toss a couple of flash grenades, then rush in and take him down, then, of course, call for an extraction.
As an alternative, or if you just have to have a tank, there is a large group of buildings on the far east side of the northern half of the island. You can sneak up on it, by, once again, sticking as close to the water's edge as possible, avoiding the troops on the inland side of the road before you reach the larger complex. Move along the mountain and start climbing it as soon as possible, working your way towards the east. Eventually, you will be able to overlook the rear of the large building. be careful, as the top of the big building contains two RPG Elites, although they usually face the road, they can still see you, if you are not paying attention. In the open lot, you will see a rifleman and a T-62 tank. This is the only T-62 found in the northern part. You will need to kill the soldier and crack open the fence, but once you do, you can easily steal the tank. Enter the tank and head towards the road along the northern wall of the big building. You will have just enough room. If you achieve disguise, simply drive away and head for the bridge of radioactive doom.
The value of the contract is the value of the Ace card. $250,000 alive or $125,000 dead. Completing this contract will progress the game into its third act, the Hearts, along with unlocking the Northern Province. Completing this contract will make the Air Superiority airstrike available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace. You will also unlock the mercenary's secondary outfit.
Email Messages[edit | edit source]
Ace Contract Message[edit | edit source]
Sender: Fiona Taylor
Subject: General Chin Chang, the Ace of Diamonds
The contract for General Chang is now available. This isn't going to be an easy mission. Chang's a sinister madman, responsible for testing chemical weapons on his own people. Chang's also in control of Song's Supergun. Chemical weapons and the ability to deliver them anywhere in a thousand mile radius is bad news.
ExOps protocol requires me to inform you any time you accept a mission that involves a high probability of exposure to chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons. The good news is; I'm pretty sure Chang isn't going to nuke you or give you a virus.
Introductory Email Message[edit | edit source]
Sender: Major Steven Howard
Subject: 'The Guns of Kirin-Do'
General Chin Chang, the Ace of Diamonds, has brought the Type 07 Supergun online. This weapon is capable of striking targets in South Korea and japan with radiological shells.
The Supergun is a hardened structure, requiring a bunker buster or equally strong weapon to destroy. Additionally, the Supergun has an integrated jammer system. You'll have to find a way to destroy it without direct Allied air support.
Also, the area around the Supergun has been contaminated by radioactive materials used in it ammunition. Only shielded vehicles, such as an NK Tank, can safely cross these areas.
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Destroy the Type 07 Supergun
2. Verify the Ace of Diamonds
Bounty value: $250,000 alive/$125,000 dead
Contract Update Message[edit | edit source]
Sender: Major Steven Howard
Subject: Prototype Weapon Operation Codes
The Type 07 Prototype Weapons is the only thing on that island strong enough to destroy the Supergun and bypass the jamming system. You need to keep the Prototype Weapon intact until the Supergun is destroyed.
Below are the operation codes for the Type 07 Prototype Weapon as well as the target coordinates. You'll now be able to activate the Prototype Gun and take out the Supergun.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
The player talks to Garrett outside the Allied HQ
- Colonel Garrett: I got you clearance for the Ace of Diamonds; General Chang, runs Song's weapons testing.
The player enters the HQ. Garrett is talking to someone on the phone
- Colonel Garrett: I don't care what they're denying! You tell that Russian thug he doesn't return that chopper I'll bring down so much...never mind. I've got bigger fish to fry.
Garrett hangs up the phone and turns his attention towards the mercenary
- Colonel Garrett: Knew we'd see you once this Ace contract opened up. Ace of Diamonds, General Chang. You've taken out most of Chang's men and brought us some good intel. We're pretty sure we know where Chang is now, and since he's Song's best commander, there's a good chance Song is there too. We've located the construction site for Chang's supergun. This is a gun that can fire radioactive shells far enough to hit Tokyo. The whole area is bathed in radiation and pretty soon, big chunks of South Korea and Japan will be the same way. Now I don't need to tell you why I'm not waiting for authorization. You get your ass out there and stop General Chang. If you find Song...well you know what to do.
The player remains in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: The longer you wait, the closer Song comes to finishing his nuclear arsenal!
The player still remains in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: Bad enough I got Peng and Buford out there posturing and positioning, now i got a mercenary who wants to admire the scenary.
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: You still here!? I said get your ass out there! We ain't paying you enough??
The player accepts the contract
A cutscene of an AN UH-60 dropping off the mercenary plays
- Fiona: General Chang is one of Song's closest aides and most experienced commanders. He'll be a tough nut to crack.
- Fiona: I've marked the location of the Type 07 Supergun on your radar. The gun is hardened and has a jamming system built in. You'll need to find a way to destroy it.
The player approaches the radioactive zone
- Fiona: There's a lot of radiation in the area ahead of you, probably a byproduct of the supergun's radioactive shells. You need to find a shielded vehicle like a tank to take you through.
The player approaches the vicinity of the Supergun
- Fiona: The whole area around the Supergun is bathed in radiation. You'll have to find a way to destroy it without getting close.
A few moments after entering the vicinity of the Supergun
- Fiona: There's a Type 07 Prototype Gun in the area. It sees to be outside the contaminated area. Its shells should be strong enough to destroy the Supergun. I'll mark it on your radar.
The player enters the Prototype Supergun
- Fiona: The Supergun is tough. It'll take a few shots to destroy it.
The Supergun is destroyed
- Fiona: I've spotted some strange activity...it looks like General Chang is preparing for a final push. I've marked his location on your radar.
The player verifies the Ace of Diamonds
- Fiona: Great work. You've verified the Ace of Diamonds. The Allies are wiring us the bounty now.
Chang is verified and the contract is completed. A cutscene featuring a GSRN report begins playing
Adriana is standing in front of the wrecked Supergun wearing a gas mask while AN weapons inspectors run around behind her
- Adriana Livingston: ...another high ranking official in the Deck of 52 was captured last night after a tense battle with AN forces. General Chin Chang - also known as the Ace of Diamonds, one of General Song's senior military aides--oversaw the daily operation of the weapons testing island you see behind me. His capture, however, by no means ends the very real nuclear threat still posed by General Song.
- Adriana Livingston: In other news a train carrying strategic missiles was hijacked last night. The hijacking appears to be the work of Russian organized crime elements. One thing is certain though: whoever is responsible has created even more chaos in a region that is becoming all too familiar with turmoil and unrest. Once again, reporting live from the...contaminated Kirin-Do island, this is Adriana Livingston for GSRN.
The player is transported to the Northern Province
- Fiona: We've dropped you into the Allied MASH unit in Kusong. You're about a hundred miles north of your previous location. Before you head off after General Chul Kang and the rest of the Hearts, you may want to take some time and get your bearings.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The mission name is a combination of the films "The Guns of Navarone" and "The Bridges at Toko-Ri".
- In the PS2 version of the game, Chang's name is misspelled "Chul Kang" in both email messages