The Acid Queen is the ninth contract for the South Koreans and the third for them in the third act of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. The contract takes place in the Northern Province of North Korea.
The contract involves destroying a North Korean chemical plant where chemical weapons are being manufactured and then verifying the Queen of Hearts, with the optional condition of also destroying four SA-8 Anti-Air units in the area.
- Destroy the chemical plant
- Verify the Queen of Hearts
BONUS: Destroy the SAMs in the area. (After the e-mail has been received)
Supplies & Support GivenEdit
- 1 × Carpet Bomb - 1st one free
- 1 × S. Korean LHX Light Attack helicopter - It will be available outside the HQ
As soon as you leave the HQ there will be an LHX Light Attack available to use. While it does make the journey to the Chemical Complex quicker, the area around the plant is filled with NK SAMs, as well as the plant itself, so it would be wise to ditch it once you get close, and continue the journey by land, preferably with an NK disguise.
Once you enter the complex there will be two SAMs not far from you on either side of the area. The southeastern SAM is defended by a small group of soldiers, including elites and a recoilless rifle. They shouldn't pose much problem if you approach from behind. The southwestern SAM is a similar story. However, whichever SAM you approach first, even in a disguise, will shortly be reinforced by a BRDM that will drop off six RPG troops, so beware. Also note the many of the buildings in the area will spawn soldiers, so take them out.
The next two SAM sites are more heavily defended. The one in the west features a T-62 tank, an Mi-35 Gunship, and numerous soldiers, one of which is an elite carrying an Anti-Tank Missile Launcher. This is also close to where the Queen will spawn once the main facility is taken out, so make sure to level the area of soldier barracks so there are no interruptions later. The last SAM is in the eastern section of the complex and is guarded by a few soldiers and an MD-500 parked on the helipad. Quickly take out the soldiers or helicopter and then finish off the SAM launcher.
Once all SAMs are destroyed head towards the chemical plant, but don't follow the main road, there is a T-62 and many soldiers around the area, some of which have RPGs. Head up to the nearby hills just south of the plant and call in your free carpet bomb on the plant. Once it's destroyed the Queen will appear shortly at the west side of the complex, close to the where the SAM with the T-62 was. Fiona will claim he's trying to escape, but he will just stand there until you engage him. Verify him and complete the contract.
The value of the contract is the value of the face card, which is $225,000 alive or $112,500 dead. The bonus conditions nets the player an additional $50,000 for each SAM destroyed. Completing this contract will make Gunship Support III available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace.
Introductory Email MessageEdit
Sender: Lieutenant Yung Kim
Subject: Contract: 'The Acid Queen'
The chemical plant is inside the Queen's production complex. Buford wants it destroyed. Colonel Namgung will probably stay hidden until after you blow it up. Once you seriously threaten his operation, he'll either try to flee or stop you. Be prepared for either eventually.
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Destroy the chemical plant 2. Verify the Queen of Hearts
Bonus Email MessageEdit
Sender: Lieutenant Yung Kim
Subject: Bonus for SAMs
Buford's offering a $50,000 bonus for each SAM destroyed. It saves his men having to risk their lives cleaning up Colonel Namgung's forces after you're done.
1. Destroy the SAMs in the area
Bounty value: $50,000 per SAM
The player enters the HQ
- Agent Buford: There's this processing plant in Chongju that has a certain tactical value to Park and his men. I promised him you'd wade in there and take out the main facility so his men could secure the area. Now, he asked me why you'd do such a thing, and apart from the obvious reason that I'm payin' you a ton of money...the place a chemical weapons facility run by the Queen of Hearts: Colonel Jong Namgung. Figured that'd motivate you.
The player remains in the HQ
- Agent Buford: I wouldn't worry about the chemical weapons, the place hasn't been used in months. Song's been pouring all his money into nukes.
The player still remains in the HQ
- Agent Buford: 'Course, chemical weapons or not, Namgung is one ornery due. You watch your back, I got plans for you.
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Agent Buford: You can take as long as you want, no skin off my nose.
The player accepts the contract
- Fiona: This Queen brings us much closer to Song. He's gotta be running scared by now.
Roughly half way to the complex, the player will receive an email and update
- Fiona: The Complex is well-guarded. I'd advise a stealthy approach.
The player approaches a SAM launcher
- Fiona: You're near one of the SAMs.
The player approaches the SAM in the southwest corner of the complex
- Fiona: This SAM's lightly defended. Shouldn't be a problem.
the player approaches the western SAM
- Fiona: There's some heavy armor at the next SAM. Be careful.
The player approaches the eastern SAM
- Fiona: You're near one of the SAMs. I can see a helipad, and a helicopter next to it.
The player destroys a SAM
- Fiona: That's one SAM taken down.
The player destroys their second SAM
- Fiona: You've taken out two of the SAMs. Good.
The player destroys their third SAM
- Fiona: Only one SAM left.
The player destroys the last SAM
- Fiona: That's the last of them. Noe go take out that chemical plant.
The player destroys the chemical plant
- Fiona: The chemical plant is finished. Nice work.
The Queen of Hearts appears
- Fiona: Our HVT is on deck!
- Fiona: Stop him! He's trying to get away!
The player captures the Queen
- Fiona: The Queen of hearts has been verified "captured". Good work.
- The Chemical Complex, where the chemical plant is located, is on the opposite side of the map from where the South Korean HQ is, in Chongju.
- The name of the contract, 'The Acid Queen', refers to the contract target, the Queen of Hearts. It may also be a reference to "The Acid Queen," a song by Pete Townshend.
- An early version of The Acid Queen contract was featured in the demo version of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction as the only playable mission.