Omertà is the fifth contract for the Russian Mafia and the second for them in the second act of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. The contract takes place in various areas around the Southern Province of North Korea.
The contract Omertà involves eliminating four selected targets accused of being spies against the Russian Mafia.
The first target is an Allied Nations officer who is making a speech in nearby Northern Pyongyang.
The second target is a North Korean prisoner who is being transported by a K1025 Scout to a waiting helicopter in Downtown Pyongyang. The third target, a South Korean officer, can be terminated at the same time as the second target; the officer is overseeing the transfer of the NK prisoner from the car to the helicopter.
- Terminate Allied officer
- Terminate NK prisoner
- Terminate SK officer
- Terminate Chinese tank commander
BONUS: Kill all targets covertly (After receiving an E-mail from Josef)
Supplies & Support GivenEdit
The player is given as support or supplied with:
- Sniper Supply Drop x1 - Free (After receiving an E-mail from Josef)
After accepting the contract, the player will shortly receive an e-mail from Josef that asks that they terminate the targets 'quietly' for an additional payment. A Sniper Supply Drop can then be ordered at no cost to the player to assist them in completing the contract. It would be wise to go into the contract with a sniper rifle equipped if the player wishes to complete the bonus. Should the player fail the bonus, the act of re-ordering the sniper could be costly, time-wise, should they choose to restart the contract. If the player doesn't have a sniper, they can get one for free by going into the contract, ordering the sniper rifle drop and cancelling the contract (without retrying) then taking on the contract again with the sniper already equipped. Other useful pieces of equipment for this contract include a helicopter, small or large, and an anti-air missile launcher. If you wish to complete this contract covertly, preparation is key.
The first target is an AN Officer giving a press conference in North Pyongyang. He is situated not far from the Arch of Triumph and General Song monument. He is heavily protected by many AN soldiers, MG nests, M1025 Scouts, and two sharpshooters on nearby rooftops wielding Anti-Armor Rifles. Do not get close to the Officer or else the AN troops will open fire and you'll lose the bonus. Head directly north of his position and station yourself in front of the Pyongyang Ice Rink (the large, cone-shaped building). If you snipe him from here you will not be detected (but you will still be fined $25,000 for killing AN personnel). As soon as the officer is taken out the prisoner will appear west of your position in a K966 Scout and travelling quickly towards Downtown Pyongyang.
The K966 will stop behind the train station, where a large group of SK soldiers have cordoned off the area after presumably wiping out an NK force. The NK prisoner will quickly leave the Humvee and enter a nearby K-60 Transport along with the SK officer. There are many different ways this can be done 'covertly', though you may still take faction loss and incur a penalty for killing a civilian. Using a chopper, fly to the hills roughly south west of the officer. Position yourself so that you can see the helicopter clearly and order a Surgical Strike. Keep the laser pointed at the chopper but don't order it yet. Once the Officer meets the prisoner and they begin moving to the helicopter, begin targeting it. The strike will kill both targets, and will not 'reveal' you, despite the fact the SK forces will start shooting at you.
Alternatively, if you have access to an Anti-Air Rocket, staying a distance away in the north, near the train tracks, you can lock on to the helicopter, wait for both targets to be picked up and as they fly past blast them with the missile. You will not void the bonus this way either. From this position there should be a destroyed BMP, near the cherry blossom trees. If you stand a bit away from here, you can snipe the officer without voiding the bonus, however, this must be done before the NK prisoner arrives. The prisoner will appear shortly afterwards and once they arrive at the helicopter will make a quick exit. They will head south past the hospital and most likely encounter random NK patrols along the road. If they do, they will stop to fight them and give you an opportunity to take them out. If you have a helicopter, either a UH-60 Transport, or you could hijack the K-60 at the train station, you can winch the K966 and throw it into the river, killing the prisoner and still remaining 'covert'.
Once all these targets are taken care of you can focus on the Chinese tank commander, stationed in Nampo. Similarly to the AN Officer, approaching the tank commander will void the bonus, so keep your distance. Taking out the tank commander 'covertly' is quite simple. You can either sniper him in the gunner's seat, or blow up the tank. As long as you're a fair distance away you will not void the bonus.
The value of the contract is $45,000, plus an additional $50,000 for completing the bonus condition. The total value of the contract is $95,000, excluding any penalty charges from killing Civilians or Allied Nation peace keepers. Completing this contract will make the BTR APC and Sniper Supply Drop available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace. Intel regarding the location of the Six of Diamonds will also be given.
Sender: Fiona Taylor
Subject: Contract: 'Omertà'
This contract is a boilerplate soft-target elimination. Looks like the Russians have made quite a few enemies.
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Terminate Allied officer
2. Terminate NK prisoner
3. Terminate SK officer
4. Terminate Chinese tank commander
Contract value: $45,000
Sender: Josef Yurinov
Subject: (Bonus) Sub-Rosa
Sergei is taking a great risk with these killings. It would be much better if it wasn't clear who was behind them.
Contract Terms & Conditions
BONUS: Kill all targets covertly
Bonus value: $50,000
Bonus failure emailEdit
Sender: Josef Yurinov
Subject: RE: (Bonus) Sub-Rosa
Your careless actions will surely draw suspicion to Sergei. The contract for your bonus has most definitely been cancelled!
The player enters the HQ
- Sergei: OK! Now we can get something done, eh? And no one will know it was us. Except you and me, right mercenary?
- Sergei: Someone, the Chinese, the South Koreans, have spies in my ranks. I'm not sure who it is, but I have some men I suspect. Kill them all, just to be sure.
The player remains in the HQ
- Sergei: These guys they send me, idiots all of them! No one I can trust around here except you and Josef.
The player still remains in the HQ
- Sergei: But hey, what am I worried about? We're making money hand over thing. (sniff)
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Sergei: Who are you!? What are you doing...oh, right. The Mercenary. Get the hell out of here.
The player accepts the contract
- Josef: Sigh I have some refinements to add to Sergei's offer. Watch for an email from me.
- Fiona: Is it just me, or does Sergei seem a little crude, even for a Mafia boss?
- Fiona: Well, I'd watch out for him, too.
- Fiona: I'm forwarding you an email. Josef is offering a bonus if you can finish this job quietly. Josef just gave you access to a support item he thought you might find useful. I've identified the Allied Officer for you. Looks like he's giving a press conference. don't let the journalists see you take him out.
If the player is detected at any time
- Fiona: I don't think that's what Josef had in mind by "quietly".
As the mercenary approaches the Allied Officer, he will be giving a a speech to a large group of journalists
- Allied Officer: I assure you, members of the press, that we are doing everything in our power to bring General Song and his men to justice. General Chang is one of Song's most trusted aids. We'll have him soon. I have no personal knowledge of the Russian Mafia's operations in this area. As to allegations that we're employing private military companies in this theater, I have no comment.
The player takes out the Allied Officer
- Fiona: One down, three to go.
- Fiona: I've identified the prisoner for you. He appears to be in an SK vehicle moving at high speed. I wonder where they're headed in such a hurry?
The player approaches the area where the SK officer is awaiting the prisoner
- Fiona: I've identified the SK Officer. SK forces appear to have secured the entire area. It seems like they were awaiting the arrival of the NK prisoner.
If the player approaches the SK officer before killing the AN Officer and before the prisoner arrives
- Fiona: I've identified the SK Officer. SK forces appear to have secured the entire area. Looks like a lot of security.
If enough time has passed and the prisoner appears after already encountering the SK Officer
- Fiona: I've identified the prisoner for you. He appears to be in an SK vehicle moving at high speed. I think they're headed to the SK Officer's location.
If they player takes out the SK Officer before the prisoner appears, and then identifies the prisoner
- Fiona: I've identified the prisoner for you. He appears to be in an SK vehicle moving at high speed. I think they're headed to the SK Officer's original location. If they are, they'll be in one hell of a surprise when they get there.
The prisoner arrives at the SK Officer's location after the SK Officer has been taken out
- Fiona: The vehicle with the prisoner isn't sticking around. You better get after them.
The prisoner arrives at the train station and is greeted by the SK officer
- Fiona: They're loading the prisoner onto the chopper!
The SK officer and prisoner board the helicopter
- Fiona: The SK officer is getting on board the helicopter
The helicopter takes off
- Fiona: Don't let that chopper get too far or it's contract cancelled.
The helicopter begins leaving the area
- Fiona: I can't track the target if you don't keep him in close range. Remember: we only get paid if nail all four of them.
The helicopter gets far away
- Fiona: You're about to lose the target!
The helicopter escapes
- Fiona: Damn, we lost him! That's it. We've blown this one. Get out of there.
The player takes out three targets
- Fiona: There you go. Only one target left
The player takes out all targets except the tank commander
- Fiona: I've identified the Chinese tank commander. I think he's on patrol in one of his tanks.
The player takes out the last target
- Fiona: That was the last target. Mission bounty is being transferred as we speak.
- Killing the Allied officer will result in a deduction of $25,000 from the player's account, even if done undetected, thereby reducing the value of the contract to effectively $20,000, or $70,000 if the bonus condition is also completed.
- This is one of the few contracts to have an accented character in the title, in this case the grave 'à' in Omertà.
- "Omertà" is a code of honor and silence among the Italian Mafia that represents the duty for its members to stay silent and not give evidence to the authorities and betray fellow members.
- "Sub-Rosa" is a Latin term which means "under the rose", and refers to secrecy and confidentiality.