The Laser Guided Bomb is an airstrike that is featured in Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.
Overview[edit | edit source]
- "Drop a single laser-guided bomb on the target."
- — Stockpile caption
The Laser Guided Bomb is part of the PGM trio (Smart Bomb and Surgical Strike) and it is the only one that clearly does not use the the Mark 82 bomb. Misha will drop a single bomb on target from his usual MiG-27. This airstrike uses laser guidance, the longer the designator is pointed at the target, the more precise the impact will be.
This airstrike is relatively low powered and has a small radius, but it will still destroy most targets in a single hit, it is better used for precise bombings and to avoid collateral damage.
Lasing a target at the base of a tall hill when standing on top of the hill will likely result in the bomb hitting the mountain.
Laser Guided Bombs can be found in the form of munitions near some Allied Nations Target Buildings. The munitions look like a single GBU-24 on a trolley, likely with a 907kg (2000lb) Mark 84 general purpose warhead.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
- Cost: $200k at the Allied Nations Shop
- Guidance: Laser Designator
- Fuel: 460 gallons
- Delivery: MiG-27
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Laser Guided bomb should be significantly more powerful than the other PGMs because a Mark 84 is a much larger bomb that the Mark 82 warhead used by the others.
- The Satellite Guided Airstrike from Rescue Carmona is a satellite guided version of this bomb.
- An practice (non explosive) version of the Laser Guided Bomb is used in the Airstrike Challenge.