- Locate the Ace of Hearts
- Verify the Ace of Hearts
BONUS: Retrieve Song's videotape
Supplies & Support GivenEdit
- Allies Supply Drop x2 - Free
This is the third Ace Contract of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. In this mission, the mercenary is going after the bounty for General Chul Kang, the director for General Song's nuclear weapons program.
As soon as you're dropped off there will be a gate with a watchtower manned by an RPG soldier. A few more RPG soldiers stands not too far away along with some regular soldiers and an officer. In front of the gate is a supply crate featuring C4, grenades, ammunition and an RPG. Inside the gate is a crate with a covert SMG and supplies. many more supply crates with covert SMGs anti-armor rifles can be found scattered around the base. Advance towards the complex's main entrance and take out infantry and RPG soldier on the roof. As you descend into the facility Fiona will suggest taking a stealthy approach.
Once inside the facility you'll find the place being patrolled by regular infantry, RPG soldiers, and elites, who will all instantly try to activate an alarm if they spot you. You are free to either try sneak around the various containers and get by unseen, try to utilise a disguise, such as from a Sungri Scout or Baggage Carrier to drive past the patrols, or go in guns blazing. It is also possible to blow the fence to the side, or hop onto the crates and containers, and get outside the main part of the facility, where you can run past most of the patrols without much worry.
After moving through the initial area of the facility you'll come to a room surrounded by cooling towers where Kang is supposedly hiding. Upon entry the lights will come on and two elite soldiers wearing HAZMAT suits will ambush you, while Kang taunts you over the loudspeaker. He will overload the reactor and begin to make his escape. Four more elites will come running for you shortly afterwards.
The facility is now slowly filling up with radiation, so you must hurry. After exiting the ambush building you will be running along a series of catwalks leading to the helipad where Kang is. Along the way many NK soldiers will try to stop you. The biggest threat are the RPG soldiers on the rooftop. If they hit the catwalk too many times they may destroy it, and if they destroy the ramp you may become stuck and unable to get back on, so take them out quickly and keep moving. An anti-armor rifle is quite useful in this situation, as you can snipe them from afar before they notice you and fire. Towards the end of the catwalk you will see a ramp with two RPG soldiers guarding it. Take them out and make your way around the catwalk to the ramp. As you climb the ramp you'll encounter some more elite soldiers, and a supply crate with health and ammunition should you need it.
When you reach the top you'll be greeted by Kang, as well as two heavy MG nests, a few elite soldiers and an RPG soldier. There will also be an MD-500 landing on the helipad, which Kang will use to escape. Quickly destroy or hijack it to ruin his plans. Once all hostiles are taken care of, pick up the video tape behind the sandbag near Kang to unlock a secret bonus and then verify Kang to complete the contract.
The value of the contract is the value of the ace card, which is $300,000 alive or $150,000 dead. The value of the bonus condition is a mere $5,000. Completing this contract will progress the game into its fourth and final act, the Spades. Completing this contract will make the Carpet Bomb available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace.
Ace Contract MessageEdit
Sender: Fiona Taylor
Subject: General Chul Kang, the Ace of Hearts
Based on the intel you gathered, the Allies have tracked Kang down to a remote island off the coast. They're accepting bids for Kang's contract. Everyone here knows you're going to go after it. I should warn you, kang is one of Song's most capable military men. Bordering on genius. You're going to want every resource possible before you tackle him.
Introductory Email MessageEdit
Sender: Major Steven Howard
Subject: Contract: 'Gambit'
The Kumchang-ni Nuclear Reactor Complex is our next destination--the Ace of Hearts is bound to be somewhere within. We'll insert you under the cover of night. Don't mess this up.
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Locate the Ace of Hearts
2. Verify the Ace of Hearts
Bounty value: $300,000 alive/$150,000 dead
The player talks to Colonel Garrett outside the AN HQ
- Colonel Garrett: You've gathered enough intel to convince me it's time to go after the Ace of Hearts, General Chul Kang.
The player enters the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: Thank god! I was wondering when you'd get here. I don't mind saying; I'm depending on you now to get things done. And the only thing that matters to me now is Kang. Thanks to the work you did in the field, we've narrowed down Kang's location to a secret nuclear complex. It's where they're putting together Song's nukes, so there's a chance Song's there. Now our intel indicates Kang has no idea we've discovered this location, so the whole place will be wide open. Best get a move on before he starts locking down the place.
The player remains in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: Kang's an experienced commander, give him enough time and he'll fortify that base so well even a mouse couldn't get in.
The player still remains in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: Song's running out of places to hide. That makes me happy.
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Colonel Garrett: Kang's out there getting ready to slaughter millions of innocent people, what in the hell are you waiting for?!
The player accepts the contract
- Fiona: I've been hearing rumors that Song's trying to contact his people.
- Fiona: Don't forget: he still holds some very valuable nuclear chips!
The player enters the nuclear complex
- Fiona: This place is bristling with armed patrols. Take it stealthy now, and don't let them trigger those alarms.
If the player is spotted and an alarm is raised
- Fiona: Shut off that alarm before you alert the whole base!
The player enters the main building where Kang is supposedly hiding. The room lights up and two elite soldiers ambush the player
- Chul Kang: Welcome, mercenary. You're just in time for the fireworks display. Long live the Glorious Leader!
- Fiona: The Ace of Hearts has overloaded the reactor! Stop his escape, the get out of there before the meltdown!
Some time after the ambush
- Fiona: Better get a move on...I don't think the Ace intends to stick around much longer.
If the player is taking too long too reach Kang
- Fiona: The Ace is getting ready to depart...we'll be in serious trouble if he escapes.
The player reaches the helipad where kang is located
- Chul Kang: All right, let's finish this!
- Fiona: Quick, stop him before he stakes off!
If the player fails to stop Kang from escaping
- Chul Kang: Hope you brought sunblock!
The player picks up the video
- Mattias: What the hell...?
- Fiona: What is it?
- Mattias: Looks like...a videotape
- Fiona: Of course! That must be how Song's communicating with his men. Good work! That should earn us a very nice bonus.
If the player kills the Ace of Hearts
- Chul Kang: Aaaaaaaahhhhh!
The player verifies the Ace of Hearts and completes the contract. A cutscene of the reactor exploding and demolishing the facility is shown. A cutscene featuring a GSRN report begins playing
Adriana Livingston is shown standing on the edge of the now destroyed nuclear complex
- Adriana Livingston: ...Following tonight's capture of Ace of Hearts General Chul Kang, A.N. Forces unearthed a startling discovery -- a secretly recorded videotape intended for distribution amongst only the highest echelon of Song's army.
- Adriana Livingston: One of the tape's more shocking moments occurs when Song makes a passing reference to his father, President Choi Kim.
A scene from the video with audio begins playing
- General Song: (in Korean) My weak-willed father tries to keep the launch codes out of our possession. Huh. He is very mistaken...
The video is stopped and we return to Adriana's report
- Adriana Livingston: A.N. analysts are examining the tape hoping it may provide clues to Song's whereabouts. Rock formations seen in the background, and accumulation of snow indicate that Song is currently holed up in the Northwest province of the country near the Chinese border.
- Adriana Livingston: In other recent developments, the crime syndicate now identified as the Russian Mafia continues to grow stronger - and bolder - with every passing day. GSRN has confirmed that they were behind the destruction and looting earlier today of a North Korean uranium mine outside of Taechon, a turn of events which should make them and even more formidable force in the region. From Kumchang-Ni, this is Adriana Livingston for GSRN.
The player is transported back to the North Province
- Fiona: All that's left between you and the hundred million dollars is General Song and his all=female special forces squad.
- Unlike the other Aces, Kang does not have a unique character model, instead reusing the King of Hearts' model.