The contract involves rescuing a South Korean spy from Chinese territory.
- Rescue the South Korean spy from the Chinese controlled Airport
- ∞ × South Korean Supply Drop - $4,000 per use
Nearby are an SK Cargo Truck, a Chinese BJ2020 Scout, and a crate containing a Covert SMG, ammo and grenades. You are free to utilise any of these for the contract, though the BJ2020 is preferable over the truck due to speed and disguise.
Get into the BJ2020 and drive to the airport. An officer at the gate will blow your cover, but you can regain it inside. Just drive to the tower and then stop, get out and then re-enter the jeep. Drive to the 3 hangars and look for the agent, staying clear of the officer located near the alarm tower. You will need to blow your horn to get him to enter the jeep, blowing your cover in the process and alerting nearby Chinese soldiers. Don't mess around; drive away as fast as you can. If you found the agent in the hangar closest to the PLA HQ, just hightail it to the main gate and leave the airport. If he was in one of the other 2 hangars, drive to the east side of the main terminal building. Near the fence are some damaged containers that form a ramp. Drive at full throttle and jump the fence.
As you flee Pyongyang Airport Chinese forces in BJ2020s will begin giving chase. They will not attack, drive erratically and often get stuck so don't worry about them. Whether you take the road through Pyongyang or past Nampo you will encounter Chinese roadblocks. However, they will not attack you so just drive them until you reach Kaesong.
An alternative method is also possible. Before taking the contract, locate the UH-60 Transport just south and west of the AN HQ. Get in, reject the mission and fly it to the SK HQ. When you take the contract, your helo will be parked in the lot just across from the door.
Get in the UH-60 and drop the magnet and hook on to the BJ2020. Climb to 400+ meters in altitude. Aim for Nampo, but not exactly the town. You are really heading to the bluff where the DPRK communications center was located in the Chinese contract 'Pest Control'. When you arrive, slowly descend and drop off the BJ2020 and then land the helo. Use the BJ2020 to enter the airport, locate the agent, and drive back to the bluff.
Once you get to the bluff, exit the jeep and get in the helo and fly back to the SK HQ. The landing will be be a bit tricky as the UH-60 is not all that agile. It is advised to aim the helo parallel to the front wall of the HQ pointing westwards and approach from the east. Touchdown in the circle enough for the agent to exit within. Contract complete.
The value of the contract is $55,000. Completing this contract will make the Covert Supply Drop available for purchase from the Merchant of Menace. Intel regarding the location of the Six of Clubs will also be given.
Sender: Lieutenant Yung Kim
Subject: Contract: 'A Proper Function of Government'
"The Chinese are holding the SK agent at Pyongyang Airport, but I don't have intel on his exact location. You'll need to scout around. The South Koreans are providing a captured Chinese vehicle that you can use to sneak onto the airport, but should you need a replacement, you can procure one in the field."
Contract Terms & Conditions
1. Locate the SK agent
2. Bring agent back to SK HQ
Contract value: $55,000
The player enters the HQ
- Agent Buford: The Chinese have taken Pyongyang Airport. Now that pisses me off for a whole mess of reasons, but before I do anything about it, I need someone to go in and extract a member of my staff they're holding for questioning. Guy's got a head full of intel and the last thing I need is the Chinese sweatin' it out of him.
The player remains in the HQ
- Agent Buford: Lotta people want a slice of the DPRK's pie. Well, they gotta get in line.
The player still remains in the HQ
- Agent Buford: Seen some guys driving around here, trying to pass themselves off as Korean civilians. 20 years with the Company, and they think I can't recognize Chinese covert action staff when I see 'em?
The player continues to remain in the HQ
- Agent Buford: You done scratchin' your ass? Get the hell out of here!
The player accepts the contract
- Fiona: This guy Buford sounds like a real...character.
- Fiona: The agent is being held in one of the hangars at Pyongyang Airport. Bring him back safely.
If the player is spotted within the airport and the alarm is raised at any time
- Fiona: They saw you! That's not good. Buford doesn't want anyone to know who's liberating his spies.
If the agent is killed at any point
- Fiona: That's no good. You cant rescue a dead spy.
The player searches a location without the agent
- Fiona: The agent isn't here.
The player searches a second location without the agent
- Fiona: He's not here either. That only leaves one place he could be...
The player finds the SK agent
- South Korean Soldier: Hey you! Over here.
The player talks to the agent
- South Korean Soldier: Thanks for finding me. Let's get out of here.
- Fiona: Ok, bring the agent back to the South Koreans.
As the player leaves Pyongyang Airport, BJ2020s will begin to give chase
- Fiona: You cant let the Chinese follow you back to Kaesong. Lose them!
The player drops off the agent safely at SK HQ
- Fiona: Perfect. That was a tricky job, well-handled. Buford should be impressed.
- This is the first event which leads to the South Korean-Chinese War.
- It is possible to fly a helicopter at any height over the hangers and figure out where the spy is before being shot at.
- If the player wants to avoid the roadblocks, they can either fly a helicopter or drive over the railroad tracks going into south Pyongyang.
- The contract title, A Proper Function of Government, may be a reference to the second episode of the same name of a series entitled Sandbaggers. The goal of the episode is to try to stop a high-level agent from defecting to a rival government, which is similar to the player having to stop a high-level agent from being captured by a rival government.